Six officers wounded at Philadelphia shooting - suspect's arrest

Six officers wounded at Philadelphia shooting – suspect’s arrest

Police said a shooter and suspect had been arrested for several hours during a shooting confrontation in northern Philadelphia, wounding six police officers.

Sergeant Philadelphia Police said: “The suspect is in detention. Special police are still cleaning the house.” Eric Gripp tweeted Thursday morning.

The shooting started at 4:30 pm. The ensuing stalemate lasted for almost eight hours on Wednesday.
Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross Jr. told reporters that a few hours before the standoff, the SWAT team evacuated two police officers and three others who were trapped inside the townhouse.

“They can do this with stealth,” he said. He added that he believes the shooter was unaware of the rescue mission.

Rose said at a press conference that negotiators had been trying to communicate with the shooter until the deadlock was over, but the gunman just picked up the phone without answering it.


Authorities trying to persuade him to surrender are making some progress. The man’s lawyer joined the call and tried to assure the suspect that police would not harm him.

No injuries to officers

The life of the injured person is not life-threatening. A man has a bruised wound on his head. Grip said all the wounded had been released from the hospital.

The shooter fired and some police were in the kitchen of the house when the police fired backwards. “Many people have to escape through doors and windows,” he said. The shooter continued to shoot out the window, the commissioner said.

Police went to their home in Nice-Tiago district at about 4.30 pm. Rose said the ET has an anesthesia certificate.
A law enforcement officer told CNN that it was a state order, but at least one person in the house was investigated by federal law enforcement agencies.
Shortly after the shooting, a video of a news helicopter showed more than 50 police cars on the scene.
Police reported that sporadic gunfire continued into the evening.

KYW reporter Greg Argos said four women were walking out of the building accompanied by a special police officer in Philadelphia.

KYW reporters described the women as “obviously frustrated and crying when escorted on the street.”
“They have always ensured our safety, they have always ensured our safety,” a woman told the officer.
At different times, Gripp asked media helicopters to clear the area and barred people from flying drones.

White House Deputy Secretary of the Press Hogan Gidley said President Donald Trump was informed of the shooting.

CNN’s Evan Perez, Dave Alsup and Chris Boyette contributed to this report.



read also :

Fact Check

We strive for accuracy and fairness. If you see something that doesn’t look right, contact us!

Thanks for reading and remember to share this post on social media


REF: cbsnews

Leave a Reply