Who is El Zakzaky?
El Zakzaky Early life and education
El Zakzaky Islamic Movement in Nigeria
Political alignment and activities
What are the El Zakzaky Nigeria’s Islamic Movement ties to Iran?
Iran, which is known for defending Shiite causes worldwide, has responded firmly to the conflict between the Shiite group and Nigerian soldiers. Iranian president Hassan Rouhani reportedly called his Nigerian counterpart Muhammadu Buhari to urge that a fact-finding mission be set up to investigate the recent violence.
Iran also reportedly summoned the head of the Nigerian diplomatic mission in Tehran to protest against the clashes and ask that Shiite Muslims be protected. Zakzaky has previously denied that the IMN receives funding from Iran, but it appears that the movement has a powerful ally in any future disputes.
El Zakzaky Nigerian army attacks against the movement
On Friday 25 July 2014, the Nigerian Army reportedly fatally shot 35 followers of Ibrahim Zakzaky, including three of his sons, after a pro-Palestinian procession in Zaria. The UK Islamic Human Rights Commission published the report Zaria Massacres and the Role of the Military in October 2014.
2015 Zaria massacre
According to the judgment of the high court of Nigeria on 2 December 2016, Ibrahim Yaqoub El Zakzaky was ordered to be released from Department of State Services (similar to the US FBI) detention into police custody within 45 days. El Zakzaky and his wife were to be paid the sum of 50 million Naira ($164,052) in compensation.
El Zakzaky Personal life
Nigerians berate FG over alleged N3.5m el-Zakzaky monthly feeding
Nigerians have called on the federal government to release the leader of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria, Sheikh Ibrahim El Zakzaky, so as to put a stop to the sum of N3.5 million allegedly being used to feed him monthly.
This call came in reaction to a video, showing Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, alleging that the Federal Government spends N3.5 million on feeding El Zakzaky every month.
The video which was shared on Wednesday has been trending on Twitter, with Twitter users sharing their opinion about the claim of the minister.
Lai Mohammed says they spend N3.5M to feed El Zakzaky. If you are not going to release him as court ordered because he is a threat to Security why feed him with N3.5M monthly when there are citizens who are no threat to security that are dying of Hunger?
Eight Things You Need To About The Shi’ite Leader: El Zakzaky
1. Zakzaky attended traditional Quranic and Islamic schools in the town of Zaria under the tutelage of scholars such as Malam Isa Madaka and Malam Ibrahim Kakaki. He attended the Provincial Arabic School, Zaria (1969-1970), Law School (now the School for Arabic Studies), Kano (1971-1975) and the Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria (1976-1979).
2. Zakzaky is fluent in English, Hausa, Persian, Spanish and Arabic languages. He has lectured in Nigeria, Iran, Lebanon, Sierra Leone, Niger, Algeria, Britain, France, Spain, the United States and Azerbaijan.
3. He became the secretary-general of the Muslim Students Society of Nigeria (MSSN) in the Main Campus of ABU (1977/78) and later Vice President (International Affairs) of the National Body of the MSSN in 1979. His activity in the society saw the conception of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria which came as an independent body since early 1980s.
4. The movement has established many schools known as Fudiyyah or Fodia schools named after Shiekh Usman dan Fodio a famous 18th-century scholar and jihadist. The movement also publish newspapers and magazines in both English and Hausa languages.
5. He was described by Dr Iqbal Siddiqui as “the de facto leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria”.
6. Zakzaky was jailed several times on charges of sedition by successive Nigerian regimes in the 1980s and 1990s.
7. In September 2009, Zakzaky’s supporters clashed with police in Zaria, leading to injuries and deaths on both sides. The IMN accuses the government of intimidation and attempting to wipe it out.
8. On Friday 25 July 2014, Nigerian Army reportedly gunned down 35 followers of Ibrahim Zakzaky including his 3 undergraduate biological sons after pro-Palestinian procession in Zaria. The brutal murder drew world attention and world wide sympathizers which led the Nigerian Government to set up committee to investigate the action.
Read also :
We strive for accuracy and fairness. If you see something that doesn’t look right, contact us!
Thanks for reading and remember to share this post on social media & stand a chance to win $10,000